Tuesday 17 February 2009

Trio Depart Villans

Erdington Villans manager Richard Birchall yesterday concluded the transfers of Jorge Villalpando, Martin Demichelis and Samuel Eto'o out of the club, easing the club's precarious financial position.

To be honest there is nothing I would love more than to keep my star players but keeping my club alive has to be the main priority and we just couldn't afford it financially.

It's quite sad for the economy that one of the top strikers in the game sells only £500k, but it was expected.


Despite 20 goals from only 23 appearances this season it had been widely reported that the Villans simply could not afford to hold onto their star striker and a fee of £500'000 was enough to see the 30 year old Cameroonian striker head to Folkestone Eagles. Eagles' manager James Bambridge was delighted with the deal:

I'm very happy and excited about the signing of Samuel. He is world class and, even though the wages are £65'000, I know I am buying goals. I hope he settles into the side nicely so we can continue our push up the UFFA rankings.


£750'000 saw commanding centre-back Martin Demichelis head to the Recreation Ground, signing for Villans' PFA Premier League rivals Fen Ditton. Villans' third departure of the day saw Villalpando head to XEFA 2nd Division leaders Smaley's Rams for £200'000.

1 comment:

  1. During pre-season, I changed to a new formation with 3 at the back. I had a couple of young centre-backs but was looking for a more experienced head to organise the defence. When I saw Demichelis going in auction for under acq fee, with reasonable wages, I cajoled some stadium money out of the board to put in a bid. Hopefully with Martin settling in quickly at the back, I can continue my assault on mid-table obscurity.
    - James Farrell, Fen Ditton manager

    ReplyDelete

About Us

The Clough Gameworld crest

The Cloughite is Clough's very own Tabloid Newspaper, reporting on a wide range of stories from the hot discussion topics of the day to the big transfer stories and even match reports from the big games.

Labels

Recommended Reading