Friday 27 February 2009

The Big Interview: Lenny Bernstein

After 3 seasons in the SEFA Lenny Bernstein has just completed his his first season in the third tier of the SFA after switching federations. Read our exclusive interview with him here:

Major Honours:
  • SFA Social Climbers North - 1 time winner


The Cloughite: You recently moved from the SEFA to the SFA, what were your reasons behind this change?
Lenny Bernstein: Mainly because the SFA had much more youth competitions, but also because the whole idea of a 'social' FA appealed. Don't get me wrong, I liked SEFA too, but I fancied a change. I'm loving the SFA though, so I imagine I'll be there for a while now.

The Cloughite: How did you find life in a lower division, having been in the top flight of the SEFA last season did you find there was a difference in class between your side and the rest the league?
Lenny Bernstein: On the whole, yes, although there were still some really good teams in the Social Climbers North, so it wasn't all plain sailing!

The Cloughite: The rule that forces clubs to start at the bottom tier when moving to a new federation has come under criticism lately for creating an imbalance in the lower leagues. Given the choice would you have preferred to have entered the SFA at a higher level where you would have been competing on a more even playing field, even though it may have meant a less successful season?
Lenny Bernstein: Personally I didn't mind at all. I'm not sure it would have been fair for me to jump straight in higher up than teams that have plugging away in the FA for a few seasons. Plus I enjoyed the fact I was winning! But I can see how it could frustrating for other teams in the division.

The Cloughite: Rodrigo Tabata has had a great season for you -- how does he compare to previous players to grace the Common Ground in seasons' past, would you say he's the best you've managed?
Lenny Bernstein: Yeah, he's been great. He's scored some spectacular goals. And I'm a firm believer in having one or two experienced players in the side, so he's really helped on that front too. I just hope his age doesn't mean his skills start declining soon. Having said all that, it's probably the youngsters I enjoy managing most and I'm really pleased that three of the them - Camargo, Roberto and Vermant - are all now breaking into the seniors!

The Cloughite: Securing your club's first major official honour must have been a proud moment for you, but football management can be a cruel mistress sometimes -- is there anything in your career that stands out as the low point?
Lenny Bernstein: On the pitch I've been pretty happy. It's the off-field activity that's caused me more pain. Like now - my finances are crippled because of the stadium-building, especially because the projected finances don't take account my stadium expansion plans. But definitely the worst moment for me was the mass exodus of managers from the UFFA at the beginning of season 4 -- and all the furore that surrounded that. So glad it's all over; and there are some awesome managers still in the UFFA, so cheers to that!

The Cloughite: With promotion to the SFA Championship secured, what are your goals for the coming season? Obviously, having come from the top flight in the SEFA and after such a convincing title campaign in the Social Climbers many will be expecting you to be pushing for back-to-back promotions to reach the top flight once more.
Lenny Bernstein: Yes, obviously promotion will be my first priority, although actually winning the SFA Championship will be very hard. And I'd also like at least one good cup run because I've always done really badly in the cups. If I can do that and remain financially solvent I'll be delighted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

The Clough Gameworld crest

The Cloughite is Clough's very own Tabloid Newspaper, reporting on a wide range of stories from the hot discussion topics of the day to the big transfer stories and even match reports from the big games.

Labels

Recommended Reading